DESIGNER-IN-RESIDENCE AND ASSOCIATE DESIGNER
The Runway, Michigan's premier Fashion Incubator, provides designers with the resources and guidance they need in order to successfully create or enhance their brand. We bring together the experts and the tools designers need to provide a solid foundation for their business to grow and achieve long-term success.
Featured below are both Designer-In-Residence and Associate Designer memberships. The Designer-In-Residence (DIR) level has space for up to 12 designers at a time. Our Associate Designer membership is great for those just getting started in the fashion industry or those who already have an established brand, but need access to equipment, software and/or consultation.
We are actively seeking designers of all types and genres to join.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us - firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Runway’s Designer-In-Residence has been created to provide a robust platform to assist fashion designers (and fashion-related businesses) with a wide array of services, equipment and consultation, with the intent to help them build a solid business foundation to achieve long term success. This was developed with the assistance of fashion industry experts, university faculty and business leaders, to provide the best practices and resources for our Designers-In-Residence (DIR).
12 Private Studio Spaces with full Runway amenities and resources listed below:
- Private office space with basic furniture (listed below)
- Free wireless internet
- 24/7 access to facility
- Mailing address at facility
- Kitchen with small break room
- Shared work space with industry equipment, software and technology
- (listed below in Equipment section)
- Access to consultation room for client meetings, presentations and fitting
- Access to host events at our facility
Business Consultation and Support
- Access to assistance with business and marketing plan development (in partnership with SBDC)
- Legal guidance and business formulation (in partnership with Foster Swift Law Firm)
- Access to fashion industry experts for guidance and mentoring
- Seminars and workshops at facility
- Access to network of business funding and financing opportunities
Marketing Consultation and Support
- Branding support
- Help with forming basic website
- Press and media opportunities
- Promotion through The Runway’s social media sites
- Business information featured on The Runway’s website under our DIR information page
Manufacturing Consultation and Support
- Assistance in sourcing fabric and materials
- Assistance in product line development
- Assistance in seeking qualified manufacturers for producing product line
Sales Consultation and Support
- Assistance in developing look books and sales materials
- Assistance in determining best distribution sales channels
- Assistance in networking with buyers and store owners
- Assistance in attending industry trade shows
- Assistance in distribution and fulfillment
Private Studio / Office Space Includes
Basic office furniture
- Rectangular Desk
- Corner Computer Desk
- Desk Chair
Signage and Logos
DIR may have company names and logos displayed outside of their offices, given the signs and logos adhere to standard placard sizes and design standards of The Runway.
Mail Room and Copier Services
Mail, fax, printing, scanning, and basic copier services will be provided to designers of The Runway. Mail will be delivered to designer’s offices and picked up for mailing. Nominal print and copy charges apply.
Access to the Facility
Access to The Runway’s facility is limited after normal business hours in order to ensure security. A key fob is required to gain entry into the building after normal business hours and on the weekends. Key fobs can be purchased directly for a fee.
The Associate Designer is a cost effective program that allows fashion design entrepreneurs the ability to access select resources and equipment provided by The Runway incubator to help develop their fashion-related business.
Rate $100 per month.
Services Offered to Designers in the Associate Designer Program
- Access to shared work space, equipment and software (by appointment)
- Free wireless internet
- 24/7 access to the facility (must purchase key fob from Runway staff)
- Access to The Runway’s seminars and workshops
- Two free hours of business consultation and planning per month with Runway staff
- Name and business information featured on The Runway’s website under our Associate Designer information page
- Access to The Runway’s industry connections and experts
SHARED PRODUCTION SPACE
The Shared Production Space is a state of art work space that features some of the fashion industry’s best equipment, technology and software. This space was created to allow the designers enlisted in either our Designer-In-Residence or Associate Designer Programs to produce quality patterns, samples, collections and customized items for their brand and individual clients.
Industrial Sewing Machines
- (4) MITSUBISHI Straight Stitch Sewing Machines
- PEGASUS Cover Stitch Sewing Machine
- JUKI 6714 4-Thread Serger Sewing Machine
- JUKI 6716 5-Thread Serger Sewing Machine
Basic Sewing Machines
- JANOME Heavy Duty Sewing Machine - with various stitch setting
Professional Dress Forms
- Women’s Dress Form w/ legs - Size 6 [with collapsible shoulders]
- Women’s Half Body Dress Form - Size 4 [with collapsible shoulders]
- Women's Half Body Dress Form - Size 8 [with collapsible shoulders]
- Men’s Half Body Dress Form - Size 40
- Men’s Full Body Dress Form - Size 40
- Men's Adjustable Size Half Body Dress Form
Cutting Tables and Tools
- 5’ x 8’ Cutting Tables
- ALVIN 4’ x 8’ Cutting Mat
- Professional pressing tables with gravity fed, steam irons
- An array of rulers, cutting tools, notions, scissors, pins, etc.
- CALCOMP Digitizer with 16-button cursor 36” x 48”
- VELOCITY 1800CZ Plotter – 72” Wide Format Printer
- 21" MAC Desktop
- 23" HP - PC Desktop
- ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Lightroom, Premiere, etc.
- OPTITEX - Pattern Development Software